Hello from York!

October 4th, 2015 echen17

Hello everyone!

I’m officially blogging from England for the first time since I’ve arrived. This first week has been draining, but I’m learning lots of interesting things about the culture here. As you probably know, they drive on the left here-weird, I know. But that’s alright, I’ve gotten used to it. What I do need to get used to is the time here. It’s as if I’m still on American time, because I can’t fall asleep until 2 AM on most nights…

But anyways, I’ve been enjoying my time. England is so beautiful. Here are some photos:

IMG_1180 Passing through Manchester to York

IMG_1246On my way to the Maths Department, because…

This week has been all about settling in and getting ready for classes. It’s called Fresher’s Week-basically a week long orientation, but less structured than the orientations at Holy Cross-as in every minute of the week is not scheduled. For example, instead of going on a tour in the city centre, you might have to attend a meeting with your supervisor or go to a welcome talk run by your department (usually students only study one subject here).

I’ve also been running around all over campus to register for classes. It’s so different from the process at Holy Cross. Please refer to: http://echen17.me.holycross.edu/2014/11/19/its-late-but-im-up-and-blogging/  where I loosely described the process in an earlier blog entry. At the University of York, I have to fill out a form of what modules I would like to take, and give it to my department for filing. If I want to take courses outside of my department, I have to go to that department and ask if I could register for the class that I want.

This week was also about meeting new people. I definitely enjoyed making new friends from around the world. My flatmates are pretty cool people. A few days ago, we were all in our kitchen learning how to say, “Hi, my name is…” in everyone’s native tongue. I’ve also met some other people studying maths. I even joined Maths society. Not sure what it entails other than it being a society dedicated to math, so more information to come.

Anyways, that’s all for now. I have loads of reading to do for my classes this week-wish me luck.

Cheers!

Ellen Chen '17