Summer Term

May 27th, 2016 echen17

Hey all!

Sorry it’s been about a month since I’ve last posted! I’ve been in exam period for the past few weeks. Exams here are so stressful-each exam is worth 100% of your grade. That’s crazy…and so high stakes. Especially for me, because unlike my course mates, they can resit their exams. But I only had to pull one all nighter. In total, I had to sit three exams, one paper and a presentation, as well as my ICIP (another paper and another presentation).

I was pretty exhausted by my last exam. But I was also very chill about exams here, because they don’t factor into my GPA. That took off some of the pressure I was feeling. I have text anxiety-before every exam, I psyche myself out and I freeze. I’ve been getting better at taking exams, but after this year, I feel like I lost in touch of how to take an exam, because I wasn’t being assessed every couple of weeks. But I think I’ll be happy with my grades this year.

I’m really looking forward to coming home. I’ll be home in less than two weeks. But I’ll also only be home for like a day…haha…because I’m moving back onto the Hill for Summer Research. I’ll be researching on flatness and curvature, geometry of surfaces and spaces, constructing models to exhibit topology and differential geometry concepts with paper and yup…knitting! Haha I can’t wait until I start my project, but because I’m a bit nerdy, I’ve already started reading up on what I’ll be researching on. So far, I’ve read one book that my professor recommended, it’s called The Shape of Space by Jeffrey Weeks. The author also happened to give the Sulski Lecture at Holy Cross this year, and I was a bit upset I missed it, because I thought his book was very good and engaging for someone who hasn’t done any course work in this topic.

So for the rest of my time here, I’ll be relaxing with my mates, doing a bit of researching for this summer, and playing softball.

Cheers! xxx

Ellen Chen '17