Post EuroTrip 2016

April 5th, 2016 echen17

Hey all!

So sorry about last month-it’s difficult to write a blog post on your phone when you’re on the move, haha. But anyways, EuroTrip 2016 was great! We-Keith Plummer ’17 and I-saw a lot of things, ate a lot of good food, spoke in multiple languages, etc.

Our first destination was Rome, Italy. We saw the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, the Trevi Fountain-all the tourist sports, basically. We then traveled up north to Florence, and during our stay, we took a day trip to Pisa. After Florence, we went up to Milan. But on our way up to Milan, I caught up with the news-as in what was going on with the rest of the world. It was at the moment when I found out about the terrorist attacks in Brussels.

It was literally going to be the next stop on EuroTrip 2016. We were in shock, wondering what we should do-if we could do anything at all. Questions going on in my head there and then: were those innocent people affected by the attacks going to be okay-they weren’t sure of the death/injured tolls then, and what was the emotional state of the country and the European Union then and there? All I knew was that it wasn’t the time to go to Brussels.

So what did we do? We went back to Rome…you know what they say, all roads lead to Rome. We actually went back to see the Vatican. It was closed when we were in Rome the first time-but it could have been a blessing in disguise, because we actually met a Holy Grad in front of St. Peter’s Basilica that day, haha. If it wasn’t closed that first time, we wouldn’t have met him.

After Rome: Part II, we traveled to Paris. The shopping was divine, haha. And we got some good pics of us modeling in front of the Eiffel Tower-and in front of other notable things-let’s just say that EuroTrip 2016 was all about modeling in front of famous landmarks, haha.

IMG_1051Casual candids in front of the Eiffel TowerIMG_0633Will the Italians mind if I just…IMG_0476Two of my favorite HoCros, Keith Plummer ’17 (#TravelBuddy) and Drew Virtue ’17 (who is currently studying abroad in Rome this semester)

Paris was followed by Barcelona. By then, we were kind of tired of doing tourist things-or at least I was. I was ready for some R&R at the beach. While we were in Barcelona, we also took a day trip to Montserrat. Shout out to Dylan Oliveira ’17 for suggesting that idea to me-it was an amazing experience (even though it was a struggle to hike up to the top).

After Barcelona, I flew back to the UK. I was exhausted-I thought going on holiday was suppose to relax you, but I was so tired of traveling. However, I had to rally, so to say, because the next day I had to travel to Nottingham for a softball tournament. Call it dedication, but I really wanted to play, haha. We ended up placing third and it was a pretty good weekend, so no regrets about cutting EuroTrip 2016 short. Besides, we’re already planning EuroTrip 2016: Part II. 😉

Cheers,
Ellen

Ellen Chen '17