Up at Bat

March 9th, 2016 echen17

Hey all!

Hope you’re all doing well! It’s Week 10 here at York, which means that I will be on break after Friday! This weekend is Nationals for Softball and I’m feeling so anxious, so nervous, so excited, so scared-just a lot of feelings. You get the picture? But it’s natural (most likely) because my first softball tournament was about two weeks ago…

The tournament was in Nottingham. We left York on Friday night and got to Matt’s (coach/captain/teammate) house a little after 10 PM. The next morning, I woke up feeling so anxious. When we got to the field and began throwing the ball around, I felt a lot better…until our first game of the day. But I think it went well-I hit the ball, got to first, got in a run-it was a good game even though we lost. The day progressed in our favor though, haha. We won the rest of the games we played that day, and made it to the semi-finals! Who would have expected that? Not me, that’s for sure, haha. The next morning, I woke up, feeling a little nervous. After breakfast, we headed straight to the fields. That was probably my worst game I’ve ever played-that isn’t saying much because it was probably my fourth? fifth? game ever-but I was not batting like I knew I could. My fielding was better than usual though. There was ten minutes left in the game when someone said time-as in the game was over. We had lost by 2, and the other team started cheering and jumping up and down. BUT there was ten minutes left. And don’t you worry, we got those ten minutes. And guess what? We won by 1.

Yup, we made it to the finals. Who expected THAT? Let me tell you: no one on our team. But I won’t bore you with the details of that game. We lost. They played really well.

Side note: their team is sponsored by l’Oréal. (You know because they’re worth it, haha) Sorry I had to, haha.

Winning second place was an accomplishment though! But anyways, we might be playing against them on Saturday at Nationals, and we’ll be ready.

IMG_2742 IMG_2743

The team that was picked to go to the tournament in Nottingham.

Softball has become an integral part of my life these days, haha. I’m either on the field or in class. Just the other day, I was slightly late for my last lecture of the day, because practice went a bit late, haha.

Last Sunday was also the Colours Ball. It’s a Ball held by the Sport Union. I went with Matt, and it was a lot of fun. Matt got Full Colours for representing softball on a national/international level. Not completely sure about all the details, but he plays for the country. No big deal, right? 😉

I got to dress up, eat some good (and some interesting) food, and I also chatted with people who do sport at York, because who doesn’t like striking conversations with the guy sitting next to you?

12804879_10208101897167131_317918630609173005_n

But then I had to go home and get back to studying right after, which is what I should be doing right now before I head to the sport centre later for Softball…

Cheers.

Ellen Chen '17