Resolutions, anyone?

January 23rd, 2016 echen17

Hello readers!

So January is coming to a close, which means you have either kept your New Year’s resolutions like you promised you would, or you are still in the process of working them out (AKA breaking them over and over again, haha). Either way, a new year for many people means a new beginning. My New Year’s resolutions include the usual: staying fit, and eating healthier. But my goals also include traveling all over Europe as much as I can before I head back to the States in June.
So far, I’ve been pretty diligent about staying fit. I still run in the mornings-usually before the crack of dawn. I love watching the sunrise (that is, if it’s not being blocked by clouds-it tends to do that…). Like this morning.

But the weather has been pretty fair compared to what my friends and family back in the States have been experiencing. So, I’m counting my blessings that I’ve been experiencing a calm winter.

I’ve also joined my Uni’s Softball Club. There’s not a lot of cardio during our practices, but a lot of throwing-my arms are still a bit sore from last week, to be honest. It’s a coed team. I didn’t think I would be able to keep up with the boys, or with the girls for that matter-I was so out of shape-but I can happily say that I can hold my own. #RiseTogether I’m also glad to be on a sports team again. I haven’t played a team sport since high school and that was years ago.

We practice on a field called 22 Acres (Because it’s 22 acres…get it? I didn’t at first-it’s okay). Does anyone else notice that 8 AM doesn’t look that much different from 1 PM?

I’ve also been staying true to this lifestyle of eating healthy. Cooking for myself was a challenge at the beginning of this academic year-not going to lie, but I have definitely honed in on my inner culinary skills and I can proudly say that I/others haven’t died/gotten sick from my cooking. Take my word for it. But also check out how pretty my food is, haha.
#Photogenic #NoFilter

IMG_2406IMG_2413
IMG_2389IMG_2401

An explanation from right to left:
1. I was craving sushi the other night, so I made some rolls with salmon and cucumber, and once I got tired of rolling, I got creative with the one of the top left-inspired by my days of watching Pokemon…
2. This morning, after my 4 mile run, I rewarded myself with banana pancakes made from scratch, topped with a hazelnut chocolate spread.
3. For lunch the other day, I made a homemade tomato sauce, starring tomatoes, peppers, garlic and onion, with sausage to go with my pasta.
4. And I wanted to experiment with salmon and pasta the other day, so I made a cream cheese lemon sauce, featuring key ingredients: heavy cream, butter, cream cheese, lemon juice and garlic. It was out of this world good.

So there’s my bit about New Year’s resolutions. Good luck with keeping yours if you made any this year!

Cheers x

Ellen Chen '17