Hello My Wonderful Readers!

December 9th, 2015 echen17

So I did end up going on the informal field trip to Castle Howard with my English Country House class and our instructor, Anthony. It was fun-wet and rainy-but still fun. Visiting Castle Howard with a “Professor of the History of Art, and Chairman of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain”-yes I copied that from his profile on the University of York website-was interesting. It was definitely more interesting to look at the building in person than to look at photos of it for a hour. I can (for sure) say that my second visit to Castle Howard was definitely more physically draining than the first visit. But what can you do when you get lost…other than covering lots of ground? We were there from about half past noon to maybe a little after 5. By the time the sun set around 3, I wasn’t really paying much attention to what time it was. I just knew that with darkness came the unforgiving coldness of night. I was so glad I broke out the heavy coat that day. My feet literally felt as if they were frozen in blocks of ice while we waited for the bus to take us back to town.

But in other news, these last few days have been hectic. Last Friday was the last day of autumn term. To celebrate the occasion, me and my flatmates planned an end of term dinner together. It was so much fun-we made pizza and I also made a lasagna. I also gave this wicked awesome speech, which no one seemed to get on film, because they were too busy laughing as I stumbled over words in my semi-intoxicated state (I had two sips of wine before dinner…). The speech basically consisted of congratulations for surviving our first UK uni term, because we are all international students, and also that I am grateful to be their flatmate.

Later that night around 3:30 AM GMT, I got ready to head over to the railway station to get to Manchester International Airport. My flight left around 10 AM GMT and landed at JFK around 1 PM EST. I had gotten no sleep the night before, so by the time I reached my cousin’s house for her daughter’s 1st birthday, I was exhausted.

Explains my mood at that moment of time to a T:

That’s my cousin’s son, and also the most sturdy one month old I have ever held.

During the past two days, I also got to see other extended family members like my grandpa. While I had fun seeing them, I’m glad to be home in Mass again.

This is my squad at home, haha-my cousins, Kaylee and Anthony. I was literally roped into babysitting the day after I got home, but I didn’t mind, because they are obviously adorable.

IMG_1874But all in all, my first term was great! Especially because my best friend from HC made a visit before term ended. I even made a video, so check it out!

Ellen Chen '17