Life in England

November 9th, 2015 echen17

Hey all,

Sorry it’s been a while since I last wrote, but there wasn’t much to write about in the past few weeks. I’m still a student-going to lecture, and getting some studying in.

I’ve started my usual running routine this week. Running here at the University of York is so different from running at Holy Cross. Well first, this campus is relatively flat. This Uni is also so much bigger- I don’t have to run off campus for a long run. I get up at the crack of dawn (so like 7 in the morning), and call me crazy, but I love running in the morning-it’s so quiet and peaceful.

IMG_1594       IMG_1592

IMG_1595       IMG_1593

On another note, I’ve noticed that the education system is very different from the one I know at Holy Cross. There’s definitely a lot more independent studying here.

Don’t get me wrong, my maths instructors are incredibly helpful during lecture, seminar and practical. It’s just that there’s a lot less turned in work, and more independent studying. The Brits (for sure) have more of a relaxed and easygoing schedule than that fast paced New England American schedule that I’m more accustomed to.

I was explaining to a few of my British course mates about my typical schedule in the states, and they could not even fathom about how much I usually have going on in my life at any given point during the academic year.

It’s pretty much two different worlds. I’m less stressed out here. But stress is the thing that gives me motivation to get things done, so I kind of actually miss being stressed all the time. I also do my best work when I’m stressed-so we’ll see how well I do on my finals in January. Oh yeah, did I mention everyone gets a month to study for their final exams? I get two days to study for my finals in the states…? Yup, this is a very different education system than the one I’m used to.

Anyways, I better get back to working on these problems…#IGot99Problems #TheyAreAllMathProblems

Cheers!

Ellen Chen '17