Being an International Student

October 20th, 2015 echen17

Hey y’all,

So these last couple of weeks have been a bunch of things-from stressful to fun. But I’m hanging in there. Life isn’t so bad in England. I could definitely see myself living here for the next 8 months or so-well like I kind of have to-but I mean I could see myself being happy here for the next 8 months.

I love my flatmates, who are mostly other international students. We’re all getting used to the UK education system together and helping each other out. For example, there was one day when I wanted to ask one of my instructors a question after class, so I approached him and said, “professor” to grab his attention. But he didn’t respond, and then I started to wonder if he had heard me or not. Eventually I got his attention. It wasn’t until much later when my flatmates and I were eating dinner in our kitchen when I learned that students don’t call their instructors “professors” here. We’re all on a first name basis with the instructors-which I have to admit is kinda cool.

My courses are interesting and engaging. It’s definitely been hard balancing school life with a social life though, let alone having enough time to sleep every night. But if I found a way to do it during my freshman year at Holy Cross, I can definitely find a way to do it here as well. Adjusting takes time.

A couple of days ago, there was an International Student Dinner where we all brought food that was typical of our home countries. I baked apple pie, and a couple of people told me they loved it…I was so worried it would turn out bad…

The dinner was really fun, and I met some cool people there. I always enjoy meeting people from all over the world and learning about their cultures. I also love sharing about my experiences, and seeing reactions to said experiences. I tend to pick up conversations with people around me, because you never know how a conversation will go.

Like just today, before one of my maths (I started saying maths lately…it’s a thing here, haha) practicals, I picked up a conversation with one of my course mates. Didn’t know him at all, but I thought I was lost, and I wasn’t quite sure if I was in the right place. It turned into a longer conversation than I had planned. After practical, we continued our conversation about Uni life and it was a great conversation. Just talking to a course mate made my day. I guess I just like the simple things in life…or I just love talking…

Anyways….

Cheers 🙂

Ellen Chen '17