A Quarter Into the Semester

October 5th, 2014 echen17

Hey y’all,

So…my birthday was last week…I’m an oldie… It was awesome, even though I did not celebrate with my family. However, I have the greatest friends in the world! This is how awesome they are: my roommate and my friends coordinated a little surprise party in my room at midnight on my birthday. Me and a couple of friends were working on a problem set in the science building, and when I finished, I wanted to head back to my residence hall to study for a quiz, but my friends wanted help on a problem, so I stayed. When we finished, one of my friends asked if we could study in my room, and it was odd to me, because we never studied in my room; we always studied in his room. But it was late, so I did not care where we studied, as long as we studied. Little did I know, he had been distracting me until everyone was ready, and made it so that we would end up in my room without giving away the surprise.

So when I opened my door, I was greeted with a room full of my closest friends yelling “Happy Birthday!”. It was one of the best birthdays I’ve ever had! 🙂

Last week, there was also the Multicultural Student Organizations (MSO) Takeover. It’s an event held on the Kimball Quad, where a bunch of multicultural groups get together to hold an event where there’s free food, information about the different groups, and games. I am part of Advocating Students Interest in Asia (ASIA), so I volunteered to help at the event, and I had so much fun that day. I had a lot of great food, and a lot of fun with my friends, and also, I had the opportunity to talk to alumni, who were on campus for homecoming weekend.

Speaking of alumni, I also got the opportunity to go to the 3rd Annual ALANA* Alumni Networking Event, where I met a lot of ALANA Alums. It was great hearing about their careers, and about their time here on campus. It makes me want to treasure my time on campus even more. 🙂

*refers to African-American, Latin American, Asian-American, and Native American

Ellen Chen '17